Sunday, May 30, 2010

Our little fighter...

Laken is continuing to improve. Her platelet count is increasing. Her kidney function is continuing to improve... AND she finally pooped!! Hahaha!! She is making small steps in the right direction everyday. Continue to pray for our sweet baby.

The prayer bracelets are finally here!! We will get a picture posted soon. They are bright pink with lime green lettering and say "Pray for Laken Mia". They are $5 each. Those in Andrews can stop by Dixie Electric to get one. Those in Midland or Odessa can contact Chandra. Thanks for all the love, support, and prayers.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Friday, May 28, 2010

Holding steady...

Laken is holding steady today... She is still critical but the doctors are pleased with the progress so far. The fluid is still draining. She isn't near as puffy today as two days ago. Just keep up the prayers...

Update for May 27

Laken stayed pretty stable throughout the day. She is continuing to drain fluid. Her lactate levels are continuing to drop which is great. Nikki and Caleb are able to take blankets, socks, and stuffed animals in with Laken. Nikki is being discharged today (5/28/10) from Baylor and is finally able to go see Laken. She is pretty excited!! Nikki is recovering extremely well. We all be at Children's with Laken from now on. Mallorie LOVES Laken's hospital!! More updates later on... Keep on praying... Chandra

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Still no surgery at this time. They really want to hold off as long as they can. The doctors would like for her to stabilize more and grow some. They are still monitoring and taking it step by step... day by day. Keep on praying!! Bracelets are on their way. They should be in by the end of the week. Contact me if you would like to buy one. Lots of love... Chandra.
Laken had a procedure today... They placed a drain in her abdomen so the fluid could come out faster. She has been improving... The doctor is pleased with her lab work today. One of her labs was pretty high throughout the night... BUT, today it has dropped by half and is continuing to decrease. Please coninue to pray...


Nikki is doing great after the c/section. Laken is at Children's in the cardiac intensive care. Right now they are monitoring her and trying to determine the best plan of care for her. She is absolutely precious!! She has her own little room where her daddy can spend the night and stay with her as much as he wants. She even has her own private nurse. We will continue to update... Please continue to pray for Laken Mia... God Bless!!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010


Laken is being transported to Children's in Dallas for surgery. It's more severe than they originally thought. Laken needs heart surgery right away and they may possibly put her on the list for a heart transplant. Please continue to pray!! We will update soon... Lots of love... Chandra.

Baby Laken's Birthday

Hello all... This is Chandra. Nikki and my family are in Dallas and Baylor University Medical Center. We have a baby girl!! Laken Mia Subia was born at 1:26 pm today. They are working fast and furious on her... Laken's heart was starting to fail so they decided it was time for her to be born. Please continue to pray for Laken and the Subia's. We will update as soon as we can. God Bless!!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Our first visit to Dallas

The pediatric cardiologist in Dallas diagnosed Laken with Ebstein’s anomaly, which is a very rare condition. This is where the tricuspid valve in the heart didn’t form correctly between the right atrium and ventricle. Since the valve is not properly formed, blood leaks back into the right atrium. This makes the right atrium larger than it should be. The good news is that the right ventricle is adequately formed and a decent size. However, Laken will most likely require heart surgery at some point. They aren’t certain if it will be immediately after she’s born or if it will be weeks or months later. They are concerned about the amount of blood flow she will be getting to the lungs once she is born. NICU doctors will be present for the delivery to start an IV line in her umbilical cord. They will also start some medication to maximize the blood flow to her lungs and vital organs. The plan of care for little Laken will be developed in more detail once she is born and they monitor her condition.

We have to move to Dallas once I'm 36 weeks to stay until Laken is born. As of right now, we are planning on moving June 5th weekend. We don't know how long Laken will be in the hospital and how long we will need to be in Dallas. Everyone has been so supportive and willing to help our family in any way possible. We greatly appreciate everything!!

Sunday, May 16, 2010